Saturday, February 04, 2012

Rebecca Road to Success -- Changing Directions!

So, last post was on Day 16 of Insanity. I did finish the 60 day regimen; but I stopped posted because at about the 2 week point I started inexplicibly gaining weight. I was on Nutrisystem and doing Insanity by the book and gaining weight. I was so frustrated! Now, I do have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; and go through many seasonal changes.

After packing on about 20 pounds in 6 weeks I went, very frustrated to the Doctor. My doctor said that I had virtually no Vitamin D in my system. I registered a 5 and you are supposed to be between 60 & 70. So, I am now on an RX for high levels of vitamin d for 3 months and I have an RX o sit in the sun 15-20 minutes a day. My doctor did think that this was probably a change; but was a little uncomfortable with the amount of soy I was ingesting through the Nutrisystem Program. She suggested that I take a few months off Nutrisystem and eat natural healthy foods.

I followed her advice and put Nutrisystem on hiatis, I started counting calories (seriously, when you have dropped 150 pounds and you suddenly gain 20, you do everything you can to turn that ship around.) I was eating Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, and tons of salads, egg whites, fruits and veggies. I was not really losing, but my energy levels were increasing.

Then last week, something happened.

I went to a conference and saw my dear friend and professional mentor who I hadn't seen since about week 1 of Insanity. He didn't say anything about how fat I had suddenly become, but has often been a resource on my quest for excellence in every facet of my life. He said, "Rebecca, you should read the Primal Blueprint." Thinking this was some sort of business book and due to my trust in my mentor, I immediately went to the Amazon App on my iPhone and ordered the book and didn't really think much else about it.

By the time I got home from the conference, the book was waiting for me. That was Monday, January 30th. I started eating Primal on February 1st.

If you haven't heard of The Primal Blueprint, it is by Mark Sisson and is a Lifestyle book. (www.marksdailyapple.com) The idea is that you eat like our ancestors with a focus on Meat, fruits, fats, veggies, & nuts. And avoid things that are poisonous in their natural state: grains & legumes & anything that is chemically altered or unnatural.

Like I said, I started eating Primally on February 1st. I have been eating tons of meats, veggies, and berries. The hardest part has been not using fake sweeteners in my tea and coffee. The first 2 days I felt terrible. I mean terrible. I slept between 10 and 12 hours and felt achy like I had the flu. I was exhausted. I was ready to turn in the towel, but I gave my mentor a call. He said the same thing had happened to him and lasted 3 days. I called my doctor and she said that a lot of people experience a natural "detox" when they switch to very clean eating. She said I should give it at least 30 days and if I still felt bad, she wanted to retest my thyroid.

Here's the good part. . . Friday, February 3rd (yesterday) I bounded out of bed! I had more energy and could suddenly see things CLEARER. I know it doesn't make sense as I type it, but it was as if a mental fog had lifted. I got more done at work than I had all week and was excited about everything I was doing. I had an inner exuberance. That energy carried on all day. I went home at about 6:30, made dinner with my kids (Primal Tacos--in lettuce wraps) and played with them until I went to bed.

Being the eternal pessimist, I expected I would wake up today and feel bad...NOPE! I feel amazing today too! We are about to go hiking at the White Water Rafting Center in North Carolina for the day.  I even dreamt last night that people kept handing me cookies and I would be eating it and realize that eating that cookie would steal my energy high!