Saturday, July 09, 2011

7/9/2011 - Book Review: The Glucose Revolution

REVIEW:

The Glucose Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index-The Groundbreaking Medical Discovery

Jennie Brand-Miller, Ph.D.; Thomas M.S. Wolever, M.D., Ph.D.; Stephen Colagiuri, M.D.; and Kaye Foster-Powell, M. N
 
Every wonder why you get sluggish after a big meal and become unusally hungry way to quickly. Exceptionally quicker than expected. The Glucose Revolution gives some insight into the physiology of the body and how, at the root of it, is the pancreatic reaction to glucose in the body. Interestingly, sugar isn't the most impactful item on blood sugar levels...it is refined carbs. There are tips for diabetics, heart patients, and regular Joes for eating the best way for their body without having to feel deprived. I specifically like the explanations in layman's terms about the interactions in the body.
 
Since Nutrisystem is based on the science of the Glycemic Index and eating foods that nourish your body and keep it feeling healthy and non-hungry for hours, I decided to read this book. It was really good to see what is going on in my body. I have noticed that I am pretty full most of the time, sometimes it is hard to eat all my NS food, but when I get hungry, I AM HUNGRY. I have also noticed after I eat my full NS meal, I will not get that "full" feeling for up to half an hour, but then I am FULL. Another thing I have noticed is that I went and had a buffet with my husband for Father's Day. I made pretty healthy selections, but ate more than I have for almost a year now. I felt like BUTT! Food coma all day. It was miserable.
 
I really enjoyed the book and the recipes and science behind what is going on behind the scenes and why my body acts the way it acts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home