Saturday, December 11, 2010

Countdown to 2011!! 22 Days to Go!

Why I love to read...

I guess you could say it is the journey...a collective communication, identifying levels of unity, finding ways to expand my mind. I guess you could say that I really don't know all the reasons...but, I do know that I find comfort, engagement and inspiration in books. I feel better when I am surrounded by books. I feel more connected to the world and reading often serves as a way to find common ground with other people. I think that we can relate through many ways, but television is sooooo easy. When you have read the same book as someone, you took part in a sacrifice of your time, as did they, and you each independently went through the same or a similar journey. And you can each share your "battle wounds" so to speak.

A problem I have with books is that even when they are bad, I keep reading. I cannot stop. I get very angry when I read a bad book or when I read a very good book with a terrible ending. I hate when the writer gets lazy at the end of such a huge journey. And I may refuse to read that author ever again, but once I start a book, I like to complete it. There was a reason it was put in front of me. There was a serendipitous moment when I decided that there was something between those book covers for me and I am thoroughly disappointed when I am wrong. Luckily, I have been right waaaaay more often then wrong. I can honestly say that I get something from almost every book I read.

Since I am so scattered, I do usually have 5 or 6 going at once. Right now I have 3. I am reading The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho, The Book of Fred by Abby Bardi, and How I Became Stupid by Martin Page. I am also starting Dexter a Showtime Series.

But, I guess that it is art and I have an appreciation for art and how each of us express our human experience.